FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Anyone over 18 who has a hair problem due to age, hormonal and genetic disorder/condition ca have hair transplantation.
- Hair transplant surgery consists of two stages. The first stage is the extraction of the as much hair follicles from the nape as the number of planned grafts , and the second stage is the transfer of these hair follicles to the targeted area. The latest and most common technology currently applied during the extraction stage is the “Micro Motor” technique. The most common and advanced technology used in the planting of follicles is the “DHI (Direct Hair Implant) Pen technique”.
The question the hair transplantation patients most curiously ask is the duration of this procedure. The duration of the operation varies according to the patient’s openness and the number of grafts to be implanted. However, hair transplantation operations take 7-8 hours on average.
- The maximum number of grafts that can be inserted per day with DHI technique is 4000-4250. The operation of those patients who need more than this number of grafts is spread over two days. Because hair follicles extracted from the patient can stay in the cold chain for a limited time.
- Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure. Therefore, it should be performed under a physician’s supervision with the support of a medical staff specialized in the relevant field.
- Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure that should be performed in a hospital environment in full compliance with the required conditions. Sterilization is extremely important in hair transplantation operations.
- On one hand, hair loss is a persistent condition throughout human life, and on the other hand, the expected rate of shedding slows after the age of 35. Therefore, patients under 35 should be informed that they may need a second session in later periods, considering that shedding will continue.
- The patient can start working on the second day on the condition that she/he rests the day right after the hair transplantation operation.
- Hair transplantation is a procedure performed under local anesthesia. Patients do not feel pain in any way thanks to the special device we use during the stage of local anesthesia. This device is without needles and allows patients to undergo a painless operation. Rarely, sedation may also be preferred.
- Yes, it can. In cases where the number of grafts that can be extracted from the patient’s donor area is not sufficient to close the open area, a second operation can be performed six months later upon the extraction of additional grafts. Sometimes it can even be done thrice.
- You can get the result in 12-14 months. The new vascular pattern construction is built up in 90-100 days after the transplantation procedure. Therefore, the planted hair follicles get nourished and start reviving in the 3rd month. 60%-65% of the all follicles on average have revived by the 6th month. By the 8th month, an average of 75%-80% have grown.
- No side effect has been recorded so far for hair transplantation. Therefore, it is a risk-free procedure.
- It is possible only in identical twins. Hair transplantation surgery is basically a tissue transplantation. Therefore, tissue compatibility is necessary as in organ transplantations. Immunosuppressant drugs used by transplant patients after surgery are highly costly. Moreover, they have serious side effects. As these operations are vital, fees can be covered by insurance. Hair transplantation is not vital because it is an aesthetic operation and is not covered by insurance. In other words, it is a procedure that can be applied in theory, but in practice it has no financial or health benefits.
- There is no need for special care because the planted hair too is your own. If you apply special care for your existing hair, you can do the same for your planted hair as well.
- Getting in the sea, pool, traditional bath, and sauna is not recommended for 2 months from hair transplantation surgery.
- The only condition you may face after the procedure is that the planted hair can turn lifeless from time to time. Then you may benefit from special hair care and treatment.
- Antibiotics and anti-edema drugs are used for a period of 5 days after the operation.
- The healing process is 7 days for the donor area. Scabbing will form over the transplant area in the first 3 days after the operation. Then hair washings start. As the hair is washed twice a day, the scabs gall off in 5-6 days and the healing process is complete.
- You can start jogging 3 days after the operation. However, heavy sports are not recommended for the initial 2 months.